Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: [PEN-TEST] Palm Pilot Security

From: Aviram Jenik <aviram () BEYONDSECURITY COM>
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2001 11:10:36 +0200

Hi.

Apart from L0pht's notsync (which was already mentioned) there is an almost
trivial way to bypass the password protection if you have physical access to
either the Palm device or the computer that the Palm is sync'ed with.

The ingredients are an extra Palm device (besides the device you're trying
to break into) and physical access to the device or PC. The procedure is
simple, and outlined in our article:
http://www.securiteam.com/securitynews/Gaining_easy_access_to_private_Palm_r
ecords.html

(NOTE: URL might be wrapped)

The Palm was clearly not designed to prevent an attack where an attacker has
physical access to the PDA. Maybe OS4 will fix that?

--
Aviram Jenik
Beyond Security Ltd.