Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: [PEN-TEST] SQL 6.5 & 7.0 passwords in the registry (NT 4.0)

From: Attonbitus Deus <Thor () HAMMEROFGOD COM>
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2001 14:25:31 -0800

Todd Sabin discovered this and reported on it over 3 years ago... For SQL
6.5, the username is clear, and the password is hashed via PKZip's crypto
using a fixed key.  This should be in the Bugtraq archives.

7.0 uses a different hash, and though dbsecure allows you to brute it via
dictionary, I have not found a tool that cracks SQL 7.0 sa password when
mixed mode is used.

HTH
AD