Penetration Testing mailing list archives

[PEN-TEST] Spoofing switched networks

From: "Salyars, Marty" <marty.salyars () AMSC BELVOIR ARMY MIL>
Date: Sun, 4 Feb 2001 10:55:44 -0500

        This list has been extremely helpful in my endeavor to enhance my
skill and knowledge in the security areana.  Some people say you cannot
spoof a switched network, I beg the difference.  I appreciate your help in
advance.

        Assuming no IP filtering/forwarding, or port security is enabled.  A
yes/no would be sufficiient for the below questions, but if you can
summarize I would appreciate it.

        Can someone inside a switched NT network spoof a host to get
unauthorized access to resources.  How easy or hard is it?
        Can someone outside the switched NT network spoof  a host to get
unauthorized access.  How can they do this?

        Can an individual inside or outside the switched NT network hijack a
session to get into resources

        What tools would the culprit use?

        Can the individual spoof  the host using SYN flooding,  sending
spoofed ARP replies, MAC flooding/ MAC spoofing/MAC duplication.

        Marty Salyars