Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: [PEN-TEST] Changing MAC address on Win2k

From: "Fulton L. Preston Jr." <fulton () PRESTONS ORG>
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2001 01:40:45 -0500

This isn't going to help you because if there is a router inbetween you
and the subject you are trying to hack, errr, "pen-test", but you can
change the mac addr in 2k.  This also won't help if the network card
doesn't support it (most 100MB will though.)

"right click" on My Network Places on the desktop and select Properties.
"right click" on the ethernet adapter you want to configure and select
Properties.  Click on "configure".  Select the Advanced folder tab.  In
the "Property" listing should be a field that says something along the
lines (depends on the adapter brand) MAC Address, Locally Administered
Address, Ethernet Address, or something similar.  Click once on that,
under the "value" field you can type in a mac address.  Enter no colons,
spaces, or commas, just the mac with no delimiters (i.e. 00ab01cd02ef)

Upon clicking apply, there will be a long pause while the OS makes the
changes, the icon in the systray (if enabled) will go away then
reappear.  If set to use DHCP it will have a different address because
the reservation was made with a different mac address.  No reboot is
required.

Open a command shell and type ipconfig /all will show you everything
about the connection, including the new mac address:

Ethernet adapter Intel(R) PRO/100+ PCI Adapter(1)

        Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :
        Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) PRO/100+ PCI
Adapter
        Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-AB-01-CD-02-EF <----
(this is the NEW mac addr)
        DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
        Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
        IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : x.x.x.x
        Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : x.x.x.x
        Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : x.x.x.x
        DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : x.x.x.x
        DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : x.x.x.x
                                            x.x.x.x
        NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled
        Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Monday, February 12, 2001
1:31:30 AM

        Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Monday, February 12, 2001
5:31:30 AM

Hope this helps with your "pen-test" problem.

Regards,
Fulton Preston.