Penetration Testing mailing list archives

problems to execute sql-commands with osql.exe

From: otaner () gmx ch
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2001 10:54:09 +0100 (MET)

Hi,

I'm playing around with our test ms-sql server. The sa account has no
password. So I tried to execute a command with osql.exe...

c:\osql.exe -S target -U sa -P "" -d master -Q "xp_cmdshell 'dir c:\'"
Client unable to establish connection
[Named Pipes]ConnectionOpen (CreateFile()).

That's the result. But when I fire up CIS (Cerberus Internet Scanner by
D.Litchfield) with ms-sql checks activated, I can see nice results and when I try
to execute my command with osql.exe again, then it works!

How can I establish a connection only with osql.exe? Hand-shake problem? CIS
is a nice tool, but it's GUI based. If I do a pen test and I can compromise
a system in the DMZ, I need a command line tool like osql.exe.

any help would be appreciated
Renato

--
http://www.gmx.net

This list is provided by the SecurityFocus Security Intelligence Alert (SIA)
Service. For more information on SecurityFocus' SIA service which
automatically alerts you to the latest security vulnerabilities please see:
https://alerts.securityfocus.com/