Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: Raptor Firewall

From: Mike Shaw <mshaw () wwisp com>
Date: Fri, 07 Dec 2001 08:35:54 -0600

I used raptor for about 4 years at an old job.

One thing you always have to do with raptor is check the log files. It usually tells you something that will at least get you started.

The other thing about Raptor is make absolutely sure you have more than enough RAM, and a very very large swapfile (at least double the regular NT recommended size was our rule of thumb). There were three times where we had weird things like this and upping the swapfile/RAM helped.

Do you have SYN flood protection on? Older versions had real performance problems when this was enabled.

Another thing is to make sure they don't have any strange configurations--massive port redirections, etc. Check the configs and make sure it's not the product of a non-educated 'configurer'.

If anything, your pen-test just found a quick way to dos the site! But we very rarely had problems with Raptor, it's a top-notch product so make sure they aren't doing something incorrect.

-Mike