Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: Emulating a wireless access point

From: Robert van der Meulen <rvdm () cistron nl>
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2001 00:36:23 +0200

Hi,

Quoting Steve Skoronski (skoronski () ctidata com):
      Has anyone seen software to emulate this on a PC/Laptop with a wi-fi
card? Or should I go look for a used AP?
I have been thinking about that, seeing the high density of (non-WEP)
wireless traffic at HAL2001 :)

I have tried stuff like you're describing by putting my WiFi card in
'Master' mode, setting the essid to the network's essid.
I haven't gotten really far with this, also due to beer and other fun
things, but afaik it should work.
From the 'iwconfig' manpage, the section about 'mode':

|Set the operating mode of the device, which depends
|on the network topology. The  mode  can  be  Ad-hoc
|(network  composed  of  only  one  cell and without
|Access Point), Managed (network  composed  of  many
|cells,  with roaming or with an Access Point), Mas?
|ter (the node is the synchronisation master or  act
|as  an  Access  Point),  Repeater (the node forward
|packets on the air), Secondary (the node act  as  a
|backup master/repeater) or Auto.

So 'iwconfig eth0 essid "HAL"' and 'iwconfig eth0 mode Master' should do
the trick (probably the other way around).

Greets,
        Robert

--
                              Linux Generation
   encrypted mail preferred. finger rvdm () debian org for my GnuPG/PGP key.

This list is provided by the SecurityFocus Security Intelligence Alert (SIA)
Service. For more information on SecurityFocus' SIA service which
automatically alerts you to the latest security vulnerabilities please see:
https://alerts.securityfocus.com/