Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: [PEN-TEST] SAS70; the process and merit thereof?

From: "Shein, Betty (ISS Southfield)" <bshein () ISS NET>
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2000 15:27:22 -0400

Okay, since I was once a computer auditor for Big 5 and performed quite a
few SAS70 reviews, I feel I like I can speak on this topic.  I have a few
comments.

1. A SAS70 report is semi-public.  The only people that should be able to
review a company's SAS70 report are those that are using their services.  So
Joe Blow that just wants to request a copy cannot do so.

2. There are 2 types of SAS70 reviews - the most popular type is where you
validate controls over a period of time.  Typically, this is a 6-month to
12-month period.  The 3rd party auditor will re-validate the same controls
many times during the review period.  This prevents the obvious fixing
something before the auditor comes.  The result of positive validation of
controls over a period of time is the official "controls are operating
effectively during the period of review."

3. The SAS70 review requires hard evidence.  If the client controls state
that they have something in place, the third party auditor will ask for
proof multiple times until they are comfortable that the control does exist
and operates effectively.  See #2 above.

4. Controls are not based on some industry best practice that the 3rd party
auditor brings in.  The controls statement/document is the responsibility of
the client.  The client says "we have these controls in place."  This is
very important.  The third party auditor tests, verifies, and validates.

I hope that helps.  I can answer any more questions you may have.

Betty