Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: [PEN-TEST] (Web-Derived Custom Dictionary Creation Tools)

From: Mike Ahern <mc_ahern () YAHOO COM>
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2000 07:34:07 -0700

I think an excellent set of tools for sucking down the
contents of entire web sites and converting them to
text files (or one large text file) are two products
from Tennyson Maxwell. "Teleport Pro" does an
excellent job of sucking down a web sites file
contents, and can do so to a single directory if you
like. "HTML2TEXT" converts the web content to text
files - or to a single text file (removing all HTML
tags). All that needs to be done to create a
dictionary is to replace spaces and punctuation with
CR-LF's, and then sort. You can go to the extra
trouble of then removing duplicate words easily with
std UNIX tools/scripts.

The great thing is that you get a dictionary of
company or industry specific names/words/acronyms. The
downside is many times two or sometimes three
names/words have special significance together (i.e.,
"Tiger Woods", as opposed to "Tiger" and "Woods"; or
"Los Angeles" as opposed to "Los" and "Angeles". It is
harder to pull these associations from an automated
process (without getting alot of word associations
that don't make sense together in with the ones that
do).

- mch