Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: [PEN-TEST] eMail auditing problem

From: "Dunker, Noah" <NDunker () FISHNETSECURITY COM>
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2000 12:31:48 -0500

This can happen a lot of different ways.  There are hacks to the
sendmail.cf file that can do all sorts of fun stuff... like archive
all outgoing mail to a file... an attacker may be able to have this
file transferred to him within cron or something, or maybe he/she
has access to the server and can just telnet in and read it...

Dsniff, by dugsong:  contains a WONDERFUL e-mail sniffer that places
all e-mail it sees in mbox format.  This could run on the e-mail
server itself, or directly in it's path, at the ISP, or whatnot.
DSniff's "mailsnarf" program can be fed a RegExp to capture only
mail conaining a pattern/string match...  Carnivore, anyone?
j/k, dugsong!

A simple sniffer could just log all port 25, 110, and 143 traffic
to a file... this could be placed in the same locations as dsniff.

The first method is the only one that would mean they've been
hacked (unless a legitimate admin is performing this unscrupulous
act)...  Look for sniffers and mail archives on the local system
to see if it's being stored locally or being sent-off somewhere
else to someone.  That's about the only checking you can do.

Maybe check the validity of sendmail.cf from a known "clean" state.

Noah Dunker
Network Security Engineer
FishNet Security