Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: [PEN-TEST] X25, all but forgotten?

From: Mike Ireton <mike () LIBRITAS COM>
Date: Fri, 1 Sep 2000 12:39:03 -0700

On Wed, 30 Aug 2000, Vanja Hrustic wrote:

And those tools are 'extremely private'.

There were heaps of shell/DCL scripts for UNIX and VMS which were also
called 'batch scanners', since they were fairly dumb - you set the
'range', and the scanner just does it, no matter what the responses are,
or if the network is congested, etc... Those were also running in the
background, without need for human intervention.

        I wrote the granddaddy of x.25 scanners, and it ran on an Atari
800 with a 300 baud modem. This scanner had a number of important features
- dealing with 'network congestion', banner capture, sub-address range
testing, and a very intelligent command processor designed to deal with
network disconnects and even a limited amount of 'line noise' thru fuzzy
matching.

        Scanning techniques don't ever seem to change much,wether is's ip,
x.25, or modem. Sometimes it still suprises me that it's taken as long as
it has to see the development of scan detection....

--
Mike Ireton
Senior Systems Engineer