Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: [PEN-TEST] How to "break into" the Pen-Testing field

From: "Frasnelli, Dan" <dfrasnel () COREWAR COM>
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2000 13:53:58 -0400

As for the topic behind your mention of Industry Best Practices, I
don't advocate application of that phrase in the field of internet
security; this field is too new, and is evolving too rapidly, for
there to be any accepted Best Practices. Contrast with e.g. finance,

Sure, thats the point between the lines of my reply.
The phrase 'industry best practice' was invented by lawyers and
management to impress the customers/investors while providing
the spectre of legal protection.  Even in well-established
fields, experience must supplement formal guidelines and
practices.

In the case of Mark T's reference to "high end consulting services"
employing "industry best practices".. I suspect they refer either to
use of specific products (marketing folks like to use that phrase too)
or certifications held by their employees.
Does it make a difference to a potential client's management? Maybe.
Does it make a difference to the technical folks? Not hardly.
Personally, I am more impressed with what someone does behind
a keyboard or handset than what a framed paper claims they can do.

where for e.g. financial accounting reporting requirements there are
Industry Best Practices which evolve pretty rapidly, it takes a
professional to stay on top of them --- but accounting is arguably a
5000+- year old field.

Some principles of information security are almost as old.  How
long ago did Sun Tzu compose AoW?

-dan