Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: [PEN-TEST] IDS

From: "Dunker, Noah" <NDunker () FISHNETSECURITY COM>
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2000 12:37:19 -0500

One good thing to do would be to check out some of the pen-test archives,
as there was a rather lengthy thread about the IDS arena.  Check here
(sorry for the long-winded URL):
http://www.securityfocus.com/templates/archive.pike?threads=1&end=2000-08-17
&start=2000-08-11&tid=76806&list=101&fromthread=0&

Personally, I dont' keep much Intrusion detection stuff in my "toolbox",
but at home, I stick with things like snort, and PortSentry.  In real
life, There are tons of different commercial packages being used, and
only a handful of the commercial packages are worth looking at. All
of them are, IMHO, overpriced.

"Scheduled usage" confuses me a little.  for the most part, IDS's run
around the clock, and notify admins when certain things happen.

--Noah Dunker
Network Security Engineer
FishNet Security

* This document may contain views and opinions that are my own, and
  not that of my employer.