Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: [PEN-TEST] Legal aspect of Pen-Test

From: Steve Goldsby <sgoldsby () integrate-u com>
Date: Thu, 5 Oct 2000 15:02:20 -0500

Talk to your attorney on this.  However:

- The Pen-Tester get traced and the police knocks at his door
        -  We use an "Authorization to Scan" document in case the cops come
knocking

- The Pen-Tester is beleived to have cause damage to the customer equipment
or data during the penetration.
        -  We use a "hold harmless" agreement.  Basically, we say "feces occur, and
by signing you understand that though we will not intentionally cause damage
or system downtime, systems may crash or behave erratically during the
penTest.  You agree to hold us harmles...blah blah blah"

- the customer has followed the security firm's advices and implemented the
equired security mesures but is hacked a few days after.
        - again, the hold harmless.  "You understand that this is an ongoing
process, and that feces occur, and that we're only providing you an idea of
your vulnerabilities.  There is no guarantee that new vulnerabilities will
not be found and exploited."