Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: [PEN-TEST] Recourse Technologies -- info wanted

From: Ryan Permeh <ryan () EEYE COM>
Date: Tue, 3 Oct 2000 10:01:09 -0700

I have some qualms about putting a "target" on my network.  i understand
that they may facilitate tracking an attacker, but honestly, why not invest
your money into building a secure architecture in the first place?  A fake
"insecure" host or network may lead an attacker to find a vulnerable real
host there.  I understand a honeypot's use in an academic or research
environment, but as an enterprise appliance, it seems like a pretty poor
idea.  I agree with mark on building traps on existing insecure operating
systems, but i'd take it one further, an unkown, proprrietary operating
system isn't better.  just because no vulnerabilities have been found
doesn't mean that no vulnerabilities exist, and even honeypot designers can
make mistakes.
    A host based ids (or decent systems accounting)  paired with a integrity
checking system like tripwire can maintain the integrity of your system and
allow you to track user actions and attacks.  And it won't place a big
bullseye on your back at the same time.

as for back tracing, i'd like to see more information on this before making
any deep judgement.  i'm not going to say it's impossible, but i'd find it
hard to believe that anything man trap could do couldn't be replicated with
a sniffer or ids system.(packet inconsistanceies, etc can all be watched
for, as can sequences of out of sync tcp packets).
Signed,
Ryan
eEye Digital Security Team
http://www.eEye.com