Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: [PEN-TEST] Informix

From: Brett Geer <brett () BRABYS CO ZA>
Date: Mon, 2 Oct 2000 10:55:09 +0200

Informix, where to begin, I remember seeing a CERT document some
years ago complaining about Infomix security.

Here's some things to take a look for:

1) Check the $INFORMIXDIR/etc/sqlhosts file, $10 says it uses
   trusted hosts authentication.
2) As someone elses pointed out, informix/informix userid.
3) Note the perms on the dbspace files (for online in /dev/),
   normally 666.

What is it running? version?

brett

"Hyde, Mark (GEO)" wrote:

Hello,

I have been mandated to audit a critical Informix database application on
Unix.

I would be very grateful for pointers to known security vulnerabilities or
backdoors (weak default installation settings, built-in passwords etc) that
are specific to Informix. Also if there are any tools out there - freeware
or commerical that can help to break the informix security.

I have used DB scanner from ISS - but this does not perform audits of
Informix if a
similar tool exist I would like to know about it.

Any help, tips or tricks would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Mark Hyde
Compaq Professional Services
IT security consultant CISSP, CISA, MCSE.

--

            Brett's fourth law of UNIX administration...
     Want to go away for a weekend? Turn your pager off,