Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: [PEN-TEST] Closing Port 139

From: "Costa, Andrew" <Andrew.Costa () CITIZENSBANK COM>
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2000 11:53:26 -0400

If you are auditing via the LAN or you are auditing outside of the LAN, but
have a route somehow into the LAN (maybe router mis-config?) then you will
get WINS services on your scan. Also, if your registry or SNMP is dishing
out info, you will get a report that WINS is running even if you can't
connect to it. Do a full security hardening on the OS to fix these types of
problems.

IMHO, optimal security for your setup would be to run ONLY TCP/IP on the
proxy; it should not have any ties to your internal LAN, i.e. domain
membership. The router should be doing port filtering on both inbound and
outbound traffic. Consider putting  a FW between your Proxy and the router,
and create a DMZ. If you want a quick fix, set the IP security on the
proxy's inside NIC to deny all ports except those required for proxy access,
and limit internal NIC access to only valid IP ranges in your LAN.

Andrew