Penetration Testing mailing list archives

[PEN-TEST] ftp etc/passwd

From: Seth Georgion <sgeorgion () ECLOSER COM>
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2000 14:50:13 -0800

I'm doing a pen-test on a Solaris/NT network and I found a Solaris server
with anonymous ftp on and with what appears to be the root directory of a
user on the system. Pardon my terminology as my experience lies mostly with
NT. Anyway, inside etc is passwd, which I suppose I need to get to wrap this
out, however everytime I try and retrieve it I get the error

ftp> get /etc/passwd
200 PORT command successful.
550 /etc/passwd is marked unretrievable

Another one of the folders reports access denied but this one definitely
does not.

Anybody have an idea on what I am doing wrong or how to get access to it.

Thanks

Seth Georgion
E-Closer