Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: [PEN-TEST] OT - How secure is an ISDN line?

From: Dragos Ruiu <dr () KYX NET>
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2000 23:06:30 -0800

Uhm... the answer is ... it's very easy to tap an ISDN phone line.
The equipment _used_ to be expensive. Look up a HP, PT500,
PT502 (I managed this product for a brief period at the very
beginning of it's life) or PT300 or PT302. Manufactured in
Edmonton, AB.  I believe the product was obsoleted a while
back, but I saw old ones for sale in Akihabara a few years
back :-).. Complete man in the middle Q.93x switch emulation
was one of the standard demo scripts coded in Forth as I
recall.  Fancier versions of the scripts were products. And
they were able to extract the B channels off PRI/BRI to
either analog, or digital serial, or record them to disk.

Many pieces of equipment exist to extract the B channel
to a pots analog line. Getting a shadowing 56K modem is
then your problem. More likely easier to record digitally
and post process in sw. I agree with the first poster, ISDN
is not more or less secure than the Plain Old Telephone System
(POTS).

cheers,
--dr