Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: [PEN-TEST] V-E scanning & legality

From: Rob Shein <rshein () mail wash averstar com>
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2000 10:30:34 -0500

re: V-E scanning & legalityAbsolutely true, but it had better bother someone
who is providing vulnerability assessment services on behalf of a client.
Just because the bad guys don't mind committing crimes in the course of
their actions doesn't mean we should as well, just in the name of simulating
them.  Likewise, it should also bother a client who is considering employing
the services who thinks that the ends of such a test justify the means of
breaking the law to achieve them.  There are many ways to test for emissions
without building an illegal device; the point here is not to be able to
reconstruct traffic, data, or the display on a video screen, but to suppress
ALL emissions.  Otherwise, you can't be sure that you're really safe.

On another note, I remember that WYSE came out with a dedicated windows
terminal (to use with WinFrame or Terminal Server) with a flat screen that
was compliant, out of the box, as they claimed.  Now, in truth, since this
terminal used standard 10/100BaseT connectivity, it was only compliant until
you actually plugged it into the network, but hey, that's not the box's
fault, is it? :-)  I hadn't verified that the box was compliant at all, but
they did sell a lot of units to some TLA's, and I assume that some degree of
testing did take place.  It's not a definitive answer regarding the
flat-screen immunity to this sort of attack, but it's something.  I would
imagine that a plasma display is vulnerable, however, as they have much
higher power requirements...but then again, I remember GRiD's laptops that
were compliant all those years ago, which had plasma displays.

Hmm...maybe I'll just stick to testing web servers :-)