Penetration Testing mailing list archives

[PEN-TEST] Crusoe chip.

From: Ben Ford <bford () TALONTECH COM>
Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2000 15:31:26 -0800

I just had an interesting conversation that sparked an idea.  One of the
major problems we have regarding security is the fact that the stack on
the x86 architecture is executable.  Because of that, when we have a
buffer overflow, arbitrary code can be executed.

My question is this:  Because the x86 architecture is only software
emulated on the Crusoe chip, could that chip (or the software layer
emulating the x86) detect when a buffer overflow was happening and head
off any code execution, thereby eliminating the root exploit?

Seems to me that would be a big plus . . . . . .

-b