Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: [PEN-TEST] SealedMedia secured content?

From: Russ Spooner <labrat () INTERROREM COM>
Date: Fri, 3 Nov 2000 18:02:30 -0000

I know I am probably stating the obvious and a bit OT, but almost all DRM is
flawed.

No matter the encryption methodology an end user eventually puts something
to screen or soundcard, this is the vulnerability.

I know for a fact that there are macros around that will exploit this with
"Secure" text formats like Microsoft Reader E-books, or PDF files.

Basically the macro will take screen shots of each page once it is viewed in
the reader in a format suitable for most OCR packages. In a couple of hours
one can recontruct the originally encrypted material as an "in clear" form.

With "secure" music you can use dummy audio drivers that will just dump the
audio output stream to a file.

With jpegs and gifs, a good old fashioned screen capture will do the trick.

Admittedly there is usually a degradation in the quality of the replicated
material, however this is usually of little concern, as an example: the
extraordinarily poor quality of pirated analogue video has not stopped
millions of people watching pirate videos.

As for java class files and the like, one wonders at what point it hands
over to the JVM, or if the end user will have to use a "custom/secure"
version.

In the end it think DRM for the internet is going to be as successful as
DIVX.