Penetration Testing mailing list archives

[PEN-TEST] cryptanalysis software

From: Jose Nazario <jose () BIOCSERVER BIOC CWRU EDU>
Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2000 11:12:58 -0500

last week's discussion on encryption in a pen test got me thinking. do any
of you know of any software that can evaluate a block of data and make a
decent guess as it if the data is potentially encrypted data, and if so
with what algorithms? when compared to purely random bits, that is.

i understand that it should be possible for some algorithms, which produce
bit frequencies that deviate noticably from random data.

i have looked in some usual places (including zedz), and either i missed
it or it doesn't exist.

thanks. basically we're evaluating a mountain of data and want to see if
some of it is encrypted or not (as opposed to random data produced by our
extraction methods).

jose nazario                                                 jose () cwru edu
                     PGP: 89 B0 81 DA 5B FD 7E 00  99 C3 B2 CD 48 A0 07 80
                                       PGP key ID 0xFD37F4E5 (pgp.mit.edu)