Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: [PEN-TEST] Non-routable IP weaknesses?

From: Frank Darden <fdarden () LOCKED COM>
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2000 13:04:57 -0500

Plenty of interesting things. We once broke through a misconfigured Raptor
firewall. Once we learned they were using 10.1.10.0 on their inside net, we
configured our browser to use their firewall as a proxy, then began hand
typing http://10.1.10.1,.2,.3 etc.. This proved to be very fruitful for us
as we compromised their net management machines, intranet site, and obtained
info from these machines that yielded us several valid logins. This is just
one example of how a little information, a pinch of mis-configuration, and
just plain old common sense can turn into a potentially damaging situation
for the owner of a network.

Frank