Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: [PEN-TEST] HTML source code and authentication

From: c0ncept <c0ncept () 403-SECURITY ORG>
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2000 12:18:07 -0800

        It looks like your ibank.dll is an ISAPI extension (consult
msdn.microsoft.com, CHttpServer). The name of the extension appearing in the
source should not be an issue, any more than the name of a cgi or perl
script.
        If the scripts directory is vulnerable to the unicode vulnerability,
however, the DLL could be downloaded. It could have a DSN hardcoded into it
or the filename of an external DSN containing the location and password of
the database containing the database with your membership information.
        If you _do_ wish to obscure this information, you could rewrite ibank.dll
as an ISAPI Filter, in which case it would be loaded by IIS and handle files
based on their extensions, rather than explicitly mentioning the file name
in the code.

--c0ncept