Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: [PEN-TEST] Database of service output

From: Dave Cowen <dcowen () ENSTAR COM>
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2000 14:56:44 -0600

We also looked through the nessus find-service plugin,
                                                                        The
nessus plugin, according to their code, is highly beta and contains about 10
or more entries. The major problem is that they are only doing a strstr upon
the retrieved banner to match the text at any point, see no regex. The other
issue is that they only attempt to retrieve what ever banner is sent, nmap+v
is better in this case. So we rewrote part of SARA to take nmap output,
probe each open port for banner with 6 possible input strings and then
perform a regex match in the backend to determine the service, if the
service does not give a banner then we default to the service name given by
IANA. So.. now we are trying to build a database of known banners for
reference since SARA is an open source project and we are submitting are
changes back to the author. We are going to be creating such a database on
our public website so people can view what we currently have and can submit
their own.

If you find any flaw with my reasoning or can think of a better way please
let me know.

Thanks,
Dave Cowen, CISSP
Security Services Manager