Penetration Testing mailing list archives

[PEN-TEST] Question on licensing terms and disclosure?

From: Fernando Montenegro <fsmontenegro () INAME COM>
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2000 01:59:03 -0000

Hello everyone,

Quick legalese questions:

On doing our penetration tests, how do the license
agreements that our customers have with their
equipment providers affect us?

Perhaps an example will explain things better:
- Let's say we are testing equipment X (a network-
connected black box, in this example) for company Y.
Part of our testing is, of course, attempting to find out
things with weird TCP packets (OS ID'ing a la
nmap/queso, for example). If the license agreement
for X specifies "no reverse engineering" (pretty usual
nowadays), aren't we violating those licensing terms?

A second question deals with disclosure of
vulnerabilities on lists such as this one.

Does the contract signed between you (the
pentester) and the customer include a clause
allowing you to share technical information you find?
Since it is standard practice to have confidentiality
clauses in contracts, aren't we violating that
confidentiality when we discuss technical details
based on our previous pentesting experience (if we
don't have that clause, that is)?

I am in no way trying to reduce the quality or the
amount of information that is shared on this and
similar lists. What I *am* trying to do is understand
wheter our desire to share information doesn't put us
at risk in an increasingly sue-happy world. Also, when
the non-technical world starts debating wheter or not
we should be allowed to have security tools, I feel
showing proper respect for contracts is a good thing...

(This is what I get from being from a family of
lawyers... :-) )

Thanks!

Regards,
Fernando