Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: [PEN-TEST] hacking oracle questions

From: "William D. Colburn (aka Schlake)" <wcolburn () NMT EDU>
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 12:24:21 -0700

On Wed, Nov 29, 2000 at 09:17:35PM -0500, anindya wrote:
      I have some questions about hacking Oracle, specifically
version 7.x or 8.x. I have a DBA access account, and can query
the SYS.* tables no problem. I also have access to the tnsnames.ora
file, so I know the SIDs and where the listeners are. I should
mention the target is on an NT 4.0 box.

1) How do I discover what table names exist in a particular Oracle database
   i.e. the schema? Once I have the table names, I can use the
   "describe" command in svrmgrl to get the columns in the
   table , but apparently there is no easy way to get the
   table names themselves..

Try this:
  select table_name from all_tables;
It will show you the name of all tables that you own or have access
too.  Usually it just shows you your own tables and a few special system
ones.

Also try this:
  select table_name from dict;
It will show you all the names.  Lots more info, but most of it you
can't use.  The all_tables is better because it only shows things you
can access.

Buy the Oracle 8 reference books from Oracle Press.  They help a lot.

--
William Colburn, "Sysprog" <wcolburn () nmt edu>
Computer Center, New Mexico Institute of Mining and Technology