Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: [PEN-TEST] NIS. An Alternative.

From: Iván Arce <core.lists.pentest () CORE-SDI COM>
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2000 21:44:22 -0300

Max Vision wrote:

You probably shouldn't make your infrastructure decisions based on
security problems in particular implementations.  Security holes are found
in most software - so unless there are fundamental design flaws you might
consider newer versions, versus ruling out the entire protocol.  Sun may
have NIS/NIS+ working perfectly now, I haven't looked.  IMHO,
configuration plays the largest role in proper directory services
security.

Well, there might be fundamental design decisions that impact on the
security.. Namely that the whole thing is based on RPC which in itself
has several design and implementation problems.
It can be argued that NIS/NIS+ can make use of SecureRPC but then other
issues arises (key distribution and the mutual autentication DH scheme,
etc.)
Anyway, NIS+ is a HUGE amount of code and as a general rule i would
go for simplier things
Openldap sounds like a good alternative but im not sure it provides
all the functionality the NIS+ does.

Another good option is LDAP, which seems to be gaining popularity
recently.  Solaris 8 also supports Native LDAP (nsswitch.ldap template).

http://www.openldap.org/

Several LDAP implementations have had serious security flaws as well,
although I don't think this should be a factor in choosing a protocol for
your directory services needs:
 Microsoft Exchange 5.5 (LDAP buffer overflow, found by ISS)
 Checkpoint Firewall-1 4.0 sp4 (LDAP ACLs didn't work, found by Olaf)
 Netscape Professional Servies (LDAP ACL's again, found by lcamtuf)
 and numerous localhost holes...

I suppose my point is that even another good directory service (LDAP) has
a history of problems, and that although security is critical, perhaps
protocol infrastructure/design should be a more important consideration
in your selection.  Once you pick the right tool for the job, you can go
about securing it. :)

Max Vision
http://whitehats.com