Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: [PEN-TEST] Nortel Contivity Extranet Switches

From: "van der Kooij, Hugo" <Hugo.van.der.Kooij () CAIW NL>
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2000 20:29:14 +0200

On Mon, 28 Aug 2000, Ogle Ron (Rennes) wrote:

We are testing the Nortel Contivity switch.  Nortel advertises that this
switch is a firewall and should be placed in parallel with your other
firewalls.  I know that you can install CheckPoint Firewall-1 on the switch,
but the Nortel representative says that there are problems with this type of
install.  I haven't been able to find any evidence that this product has
been independently tested for security weaknesses.

Pardon me but isn't the firewall code a bit outdated and limited? AFAIK
support for this type of installation was dropped halfway FireWall-1 v3.0b
and I wouldn't recommend using it. (The only time we did we found it a
major pain to install and manage.)

Hugo.

--
hvdkooij () caiw nl     http://home.kabelfoon.nl/~hvdkooij/