Penetration Testing mailing list archives

[PEN-TEST] Hardware Penetration -- A Discovery Involving Gate Access Security Systems

From: Ben Lull <blull () VALLEYLOCAL COM>
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2000 14:33:14 -0700

Just thought that a few of you might find this useful (for those who
don't already know) for those times when you actually have to go digging
through the dumpsters.

I was hanging out with a friend of mine the other night who is a night
security officer for a company which will remain nameless... Anyhow,
there security fences require key card access in order to open them.  We
decided to play around with them a little bit and placed a large metal
sign over the sensors in the ground (it was nice and obvious because
there were 4x8 holes which had been sealed in the Asphalt)... anyhow,
this disengaged the locks on the gate and allowed us to push it open.

I'm figuring this is for some type of safety/backup feature (power
outage), to bad it defeats the purpose completely of having a gate.
I figured some of you might find this interesting when doing your
trashing runs.

A quick question as well.  I'm interested in bypassing of retinal
scans... Anyone ever experiment with this or no where I could get some
type of used (but current) retinal equipment which I could play with?

Thanks,
Ben Lull

***
* Ben Lull