Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: [PEN-TEST] Infomation request

From: Etaoin Shrdlu <shrdlu () DEADDROP ORG>
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2000 07:46:13 -0700

Bcc'd for speed to the poster:

Mathew Bevan wrote:

Dear all,

I am hoping that someone here may have some pointers as to the
information I  require.
I am currently testing a WebTV style box and all that is known
regarding its makeup is that the OS is PSOS.. Does anyone have any
useful information about this OS? I can only find sparse references
to its creation and implementation.

psos is a form of unix, like vxworks, that is intended for embedded
applications (so it isn't surprising that you find it inside there). It
has not near the popularity of vxworks, but operates in much the same
way. When I last used it, several years ago, I preferred the
programmer's interface to the one in vxworks. At that time, it didn't
run on all the chips that we were interested in, but did download to (at
least) the motorola powerpc, and the pentiums that were current in 1995.
I don't believe that it would have changed too much in the intervening
time.

I'll see if I still have any information as to its contents and makeup.
At a minimum, you can be sure that it is still running the modified
version of unix that both it and vxworks run on.

.shrdlu

--
When a subject becomes totally obsolete we make it a required course.
   --Peter Drucker