Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: [PEN-TEST] Help defining job scope

From: Thomas Hayward <thayward () SAGENT COM>
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2000 10:59:49 -0700

That said.... Never assume immunity!

   Depending on the scope of your test, communication with the corporate
management is key.  Make sure in the contract and scope that you worked out
with the corporate management, that they know you will be simulating real
world penetration.  Depending on when you have agreed to communicate with
them, you should let them know what you are doing.  If you plan on having a
"black out" period, where you do not want to tell Management (in case they
are going to blab to their IT staff that someone might be prying....), then
make sure that "Management knows" the scope of the tests, and the report
they will later receive.
    The most important thing is to keep good documentation, and a log book
of when you tested what, and the results.  So that if the corporate backed
legal defense becomes necessary, your covered as well as possible!

just 2 cents worth

Tom