PaulDotCom mailing list archives

Re: [Security Weekly] decrypting HTTPS/SSL traffic

From: Ron Bowes <ron () skullsecurity net>
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2014 07:53:34 -0700

What's your ultimate goal? I usually find it easier to man in the middle
SSL connections if that's an option.
On 25 Jul 2014 06:06, "Robin Wood" <robin () digininja org> wrote:

I'm trying to look at decrypting HTTPS/SSL traffic. I've created a
server using openssl:

openssl s_server -www -cipher AES256-SHA -key server.pem -cert
server.crt -accept 443

and connect to it using

echo -e  "GET / HTTP/1.0\r\n" | openssl s_client  -connect localhost:443

I'm then sniffing the traffic using tshark

tshark -o "ssl.desegment_ssl_records: TRUE" -o
"ssl.desegment_ssl_application_data: TRUE" -o "ssl.keys_list:
127.0.0.1,443,http,/etc/ssl/mine/server.pem" -o "ssl.debug_file:
./wireshark-log" -i lo -R "tcp.port == 443" -2

This has the same server.pem file as the server so it should be able
to decrypt things without any problems.

Watching the wireshark-log file this works fine and I get cleartext in the
log.

Same if I connect through curl or wget.

If I then try through either Firefox or Chrome I get a load of output
in the log but no decrypted data. What would cause this?

If I use Apache to run the server rather than openssl I don't get any
decryption regardless of what client I get.

What am I doing wrong?

I'm getting most of my info from Mark's article from 2010, I've had to
tweak a few bits but there is a difference between what I'm getting
and what Mark got.

http://securityweekly.com/2010/10/tsharkwireshark-ssl-decryption.html

Robin