PaulDotCom mailing list archives

Re: [Security Weekly] Audit a WAF

From: Chris Campbell <chris () ctcampbell com>
Date: Tue, 8 Apr 2014 15:56:21 +0100

Are you auditing the WAF and all the associated issues (logging, alerting, signature updates, policy updates etc.) or
are you auditing the WAF policy and the application coverage that it provides?

If it's the latter, and the WAF policy is black box, then I like to see a vuln. assessment done with and without WAF
coverage to see what the difference is. If the policy is available to you then you should be looking for
whitelist/blacklist holes, examples are where wildcards are used or where there is no input validation or the wrong
type/length checks in the case of whitelist, or where signature sets aren't enabled in the case of blacklist.

If it's the former then standard IPS-like procedures should be in place for updates, logging etc. so I would focus on
areas where the operational teams may not have skills or defined procedures.

Chris.