PaulDotCom mailing list archives

Re: [GPWN-list] Promoting Info-Sec Business

From: Robin Wood <robin () digininja org>
Date: Sun, 10 Nov 2013 12:42:23 +0000

On 8 Nov 2013 19:49, "Jamil Ben Alluch" <jamil () autronix com> wrote:

Hello,

I apologize in advance if this question is a bit out of context; I am
hoping that it remains relevant with the core subject of the mailing list.

I've been part of the infosec community for many years now and have
applying many of the security concepts for clients as part of my
IT/Engineering consulting business , but never as a business on its own,
which is where I want to go from this point on (ie. Pen testing, security
assessments, etc) - separating from IT basic support, infrastructure design.
I know many of the people on the mailing lists are freelancers and own
part or whole of their business.

My question is as follows: as far as those who do freelancing or own
their business in this domain (Pen testing, security assessments, infosec
consulting), how do you go about promoting and reaching out to potential
clients? How do you keep a constant cashflow allowing it to be a business
on its own? How did you start out?

Any answers on this matter would be greatly appreciated, as I am figuring
out how to reorient what I currently do towards a somewhat different
direction.

I did a guest post on the Security Roots blog on this recently:

http://securityroots.com/blog/2013/08/going-freelance/

Robin

Thanks.

--