PaulDotCom mailing list archives

Re: [GPWN-list] layer 2 testing lab

From: Robin Wood <robin () digininja org>
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2013 13:58:55 +0100

On 21 October 2013 13:34, Christopher Rowe <crowe0323 () gmail com> wrote:
Robin et al.,

I am curious of the experience of those who have tried testing for DTP
during an assessment [ whether "authorized" or not :-)  ]. Has anyone found
this type of attack successful? Putting a switch into strictly access mode
is trivial (one command "switchport mode access") amd is pretty routine.
It's covered in every Cisco configuration guideline/training/book that I've
seen, as far as I can recall (though DTP may not be expllicty covered) Of
course, that's not to say that many people don't bother with this,
expecially part-time or informally trained engineers that might be found in
smaller shops, which is why I ask the "real world" experiences.

I'm still learning all this layer 2 stuff so haven't had chance to try
it on a real test yet but my experience from testing other areas, when
there is a default that works people don't often change it. I
regularly find default credentials and configurations on things so
wouldn't expect this to be any different. I could be wrong though.

Robin

./cr