PaulDotCom mailing list archives

Re: accessing unallocated VM disk areas

From: Spectre 03 <spectre03 () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2013 11:48:16 -0600

Robin can you clarify what disk type your target is?

For VMDK format the answer is in the spec, but likely is also somewhat
implementation specific. For VMDK's the spec calls out "Extents" that would
be used (which basically amount to each extent being a file in multi file
configurations) and each extent is responsible for it's own range of data
based on it's offset from the anchor file. So if I look at a VM built with
my VMWare install it creates files for the entire disk. I have several of
the low numbered files that are 1.xGb but many are ~300K in size with an
odd 1.7Gb in the middle of the ~300K files. So the extents are already
defined and would appear to be allowed arbitrary write without filling the
disk.

The Spec says in what is known as a sparse extent that data storage space
is not allocated in advance and instead is allocated as needed. A sparse
extent is also supposed to keep track of whether or not data is represented
within the extent. I haven't looked, but that would tell me that there is
some sort of allocation table in each extent.