PaulDotCom mailing list archives

apache not sharing sessions

From: Robin Wood <robin () digininja org>
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2013 09:54:21 +0100

I've got a client I'm doing some dev work for and they have a website
that spans HTTP and HTTPS and the site needs to pass a session cookie
between both. Ignore the fact that this isn't the best way to do
things, it is a legacy site and there isn't rewrite budget.

The problem I've got is that occasionally the two sides don't appear
to be sharing the same session file on disk so values put in to the
session on the HTTP side are not appearing on the HTTPS side and vise
versa. It isn't consistent and I've not been able to pin down any
pattern when it does it.

The hosting company is a black box who haven't been able to offer much
help. They say that there is no load balancer in place and that both
the sites are running on the same Apache instance with no special
config beyond the default.

I've put a test script on both sides which displays the current
session id and tries to store and retrieve values, the session ids
match over the two sides so it isn't the browser doing something and
messing those up.

Can anyone suggest anything that could cause this? If the two sides
were consistently unable to share things then I'd put it down to both
using different session files on disk. If it were that a session
created on HTTPS couldn't be seen by HTTP then it could be the secure
flag, but that isn't set.

Robin