PaulDotCom mailing list archives

Re: Which security technique or programming is good?

From: Jamil Ben Alluch <jamil () autronix com>
Date: Thu, 2 May 2013 16:36:20 -0400

Hello Jason,

I would start by focusing on interpreted languages such as shellscript,
perl, python or ruby. Some of the greatest security tools are written in
these languages (ie. Metasploit) and they aren't that hard to learn. I
would also advise to get familiar with a flavor of Linux and get to know
Windows command line well. Once you have those down, I would start looking
into some of the lower level languages such as C or C++ and to get really
deep, get an understanding of how Assembly works (if you want to get to the
shellcoding aspect and exploits).

As far as techniques are concerned, it all depends on what you are trying
to achieve and what type of information security job you are trying to
obtain: Penetration testing? Incident Handling? Security Audits? Forensics?
Best idea is to invest a bit of money and get a course+certification. Those
are usually pretty in-depth (see SANS courses and Offensive Security).

Good luck.

Best Regards,

--
Jamil Ben Alluch, B.Ing., GCIH