PaulDotCom mailing list archives

Re: Oddness on an old email address

From: Dancing Dan <d4ncingd4n () gmail com>
Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2013 07:35:10 -0600

Robin,

They could be testing the authentication of those sites and trying to point
the blame at your email address.

Bart
On Feb 16, 2013 6:59 AM, "Robin Wood" <robin () digininja org> wrote:

I've got an old Gmail account that I've set up just to forward to my
current account. I've not used it anywhere for years.

In the last couple of months it has been used to sign up for a number of
accounts on RPG sites. I know this because I've been getting emails telling
me the address needs confirming before the account is fully opened. I
assumed this was being done because the sites offer free gold to new sign
ups and so the attacker was hoping I'd complete the process so they could
then grab the gold.

I can understand the logic there so I just ignore it but in the last
couple of days I've also had mails from Lego and the NBA. Could these be
trying to score referrer points? Lego just seems a bit of an odd target.

They've also set up a match.com account which is active as that didn't
appear to require address confirmation.

Am I right in thinking gold stealing and referrer points? Could it be
anything else?

The account itself doesn't appear to be compromised. I've reset the
password and checked for forwarders and things like that.

Robin