PaulDotCom mailing list archives

Re: counter to claim made on Tenable podcast about upgrading

From: Jack Daniel <jackadaniel () gmail com>
Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2013 18:55:46 -0500

I may have opinions on this...

I think we have to make a differentiation between "version upgrades"
which are only feature enhancements, and upgrades to fix bugs and.or
vulns (although we often get them bundled and have an "all or nothing"
choice).

If a patch/upgrade/whatever fixes a known hole, but might introduce an
unknown hole, I have no problem recommending rapid patching. Security
patches which break things aren't as common as they once were, and
some of what gets labeled "the patch broke it" is more accurately "is
was broken but functional before the patch".

I think staying a rev back for non-security updates is often
reasonable, no one wants to be the first one to apply an Exchange
service pack in production.  But the updates often include security
fixes- for example iOS 6 screwed up all kinds of things, but also
included 100 (+/-, depending on how you count) security fixes.  Damned
if you do, damned if you don't (or the admin's version: blamed if you
do, blamed of you don't).

I think your ability to fail gracefully and revert quickly is critical
to allowing rapid patching and upgrades.  If you can unwind updates
quickly and without (much) drama, you can afford to update more
aggressively.

FWIW, the last time I managed a network it was pretty small, just a
couple hundred devices- I targeted a 72-hour max time to patch on Win
desktops/laptops, and set a target 7-day patch goal for servers,
network gear, and other "non-user" systems (but wasn't stupid about
it, some systems slid up to ~30 days).  I was able to do that in an
NT4/W2k/XP environment *after* I had patch management and backup
systems sorted out and tested.

A final thought on vulnerability fixes- applying the patch or upgrade
isn't the only option.  If the issue is otherwise mitigated (or at
least well-instrumented), then that should buy you time to review and
assess the impact of the update on your environment.

A final thought on non-vuln updates: I used to love getting feature
requests, sometimes pretty adamant requests, for features in products
I supported when the "requested features" had been shipped months (or
in some cases years) prior.  Again, I have no issue with folks who
don't want to be first to upgrade production systems, but make an
informed decision on the trade-offs between versions.

Jack