PaulDotCom mailing list archives

Re: dnet: Failed to open device vmnet8

From: Matt Summers <matt () fireantsecurity co uk>
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2013 08:26:44 +0000

 Hi Mike,

 Sorry if I am teaching you to suck eggs but vmnet8 is the NAT adapter for
Fusion but I assume you didn't mean to scan the whole subnet attached to
this virtual interface? I mean you are in essessnce scanning all your NAT
guests.

 You can use the nmap --iflist to find out what IPs are bound to what
interfaces and routes are associated with each other.

 It could be that you have a real interface on the same subnet as the NAT
interface for Fusion. In that you should change the IP.

 Read this thread which contains a good PDF on changing settings within
Fusion http://communities.vmware.com/thread/97712. [1]

 A quick boot note though I have NEVER been able to get ifconfig to show
me the vmnet interfaces configuration like the document says and I have
been using Fusion for quite a while.

 Cheers,

 Matt

 On Thu 28/02/13 06:02 , "Mike Perez" mike () pauldotcom com sent:
 I tried searching the net and nmap's forums, but I'm running nmap under
OSX and using Fusion and receive trying to scan:
 new-host:~ oia$ sudo nmap -O -F 192.168.210.153/24 [2]
 Starting Nmap 6.25 ( http://nmap.org [3] ) at 2013-02-28 00:22 ESTdnet:
Failed to open device vmnet8QUITTING!new-host:~ oia$
  Anyone seen this before?
 Thanks,Mike _______________________________________________
 Pauldotcom mailing list
 Pauldotcom () mail pauldotcom com