PaulDotCom mailing list archives

Re: iPhone Parental Control Software?

From: Chris Campebll <chris () ctcampbell com>
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2013 22:39:53 +0000

Blue Coat do a browser that blocks nasty content

https://itunes.apple.com/app/k9-web-protection-browser/id407657840

Other than setting up a proxy for the home network and putting all traffic through that I don't think that you can use anything to monitor web usage due to app sandboxing. You will certainly struggle to monitor messages seeing as they are sent via GSM.

Aaron Melton wrote:

Hi Paildotcom crew,

I received a request from a friend for a recommendation for parental control software on an iPhone. Since I don't have any first-hand experience with any available apps out there, I thought I would reach out to the group.

As it stands now, they've used the parental control features of iOS to lock down access to anything but the default apps on the phone. The teen does not have access to install any additional apps. The parents would like to monitor text messages, Safari and YouTube usage. I'm assuming additional controls to block/filter content would be wanted features as well.

It seems that the iOS market is limited to replacing these applications with vendor supplied apps to achieve these controls. Aside from jail breaking the phone (which I have not yet looked into), there appears to be limitations of the iOS environment to change the behavior of these default-installed applications outside the built-in parental controls.

Do you have any first-hand experience implementing these type controls and if so, what would you recommend?

Thanks!
Aaron