PaulDotCom mailing list archives

Re: Agile SDLC

From: Josh More <jmore () starmind org>
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2013 07:58:24 -0600

Meg,

Agile transitions and frameworks don't work very well together.  You
can put security frameworks into long-running Agile teams, but during
a transition, you don't know where you're going to end up, so any
framework is going to limit the team. This is counter to the Agile
concept itself and will engender extreme resistance on the part of the
developers.

The best thing you can do is have a presence in every sprint kick-off
meeting, every retrospective and in every daily standup. If personas
are being used, create a couple for attackers so the developers can
start to think about what people should NOT be able to do as well as
what they should.

Do not hold your security assessment reports to the Go/NoGo stage.
That'll just irritate everyone. Think smaller, more iterative
assessments. Work the bigger infrastructure stuff into the
long-running QA process so security issues show up in the Defect
Tracking system (whatever you use).  For the sprints, think of the
OWASP Top 10 and Binary Risk Analysis. When your developers are adding
a feature set during a sprint, consider using your time to
exhaustively test the application against SQLi and SQLi only.  Maybe
the next sprint will be CSRF.  You have to be as agile as your team.
Whether you use user stories, acceptance criteria or something else
will depend more on how your team works than any "right" way to do it.

If your team is leveraging test-driven development, write hooks for
the source control system to reject obviously bad code. Start small,
as this is a really good way to screw things up, but little rules like
"no SQL in the mid-tier apps, only in stored procedures" will do
wonders over the long term.  If you do nightly tests, look at doing
automated tests with arachni and skipfish so you get rolling security
metrics on the app.

If you want more exploration of this idea, feel free to poke me
off-list.  I mostly focus on business-level and infrastructure stuff
in the Lean/Agile security space, but my friend Matt Konda does a lot
on the development side of the house.  (Not sure if he's on this list,
but I'll poke him.)  He can probably weigh in a lot more on this than
I can.

-Josh More