PaulDotCom mailing list archives

Re: Defeating Keystroke Loggers

From: Robin Wood <robin () digininja org>
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2012 10:54:02 +0000

On 19 December 2012 04:48, Robert Cazares <robertcazares () gmail com> wrote:
Defeating Keystroke Loggers

I've had some thoughts about defeating keystroke loggers in
potentially hostile environments where one may not have a choice if
one wants to access password protected accounts. For example any web
based email account. Google, Yahoo Mail, etc.

Keystroke Loggers
- Hardware
In my opinion, finding one and removing one is pretty much a
no-brainer, on a desktop system that is. Provided of course that
you're looking for one. I will admit, that I've never had an
opportunity to see one other than in pictures.
How about laptops? Considering that any laptop I would carry, in order
to carry out a hardware placement would be ridiculously obvious,
unless one were to be inserted in an unused PCMCIA slot when I wasn't
paying attention.
<rhetoric>I know! Who has PCMCIA slots on newer systems anymore.
</rhetoric>

- Software
Laptop or Desktop.
The user must somehow be coerced into installing software.
Or the system must be logged into somehow to have the software installed.
Or perhaps a web drive-by drops malicious software on the system. And
even then, something has to be installed VIA an account on the system.
Right?

OK, regardless of hardware or software types, my question is how to
work-around on a compromised system.
Going on the premise that I'm on a compromised system, or that my own
system is compromised, and I just have no other choice, the immediate
manner of dropping my credentials into a Web Browser UI would be to
copy and paste.

I use PasswordSafe and run it from a thumbdrive.
passwordsafe.sourceforge.net/
Considering the fact that there is a logger on the system, my thought
about an the ideal method of launching PasswordSafe would be to not
have a master password to open, which would not reveal the launching
of a password container type application. I can, later on, on a known
safe system, re-enable a master password. Kinda sketchy to even have
an open password safe type application.

The idea is to copy and paste both user name and password into the
credential fields.

Anyway, this is mostly just food for thought.
It's been on my mind for quite some time I got tired of waiting for
the right time to post/ask this. :^)
You folks always come up with good ideas and then other ideas for
things like this.

If you are assuming the level of software compromise that you say then
I reckon you are screwed whatever you do. If I were to go to the
lengths to get a key logger on your machine I'd probably also drop
something on to watch your browser traffic so anything you did to
defeat the key logger when entering the password would be undone as I
pulled the credentials directly out of the browser.

I'd also grab your clipboard so even copy and paste won't work. See
Mubix's post on this in room362.com

Robin