PaulDotCom mailing list archives

Re: How to detect phishing and spoofed websites

From: Brian Erdelyi <brian_erdelyi () yahoo com>
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2012 17:25:36 -0400

Thank you everyone.

Once detected, there are many ways of dealing with a spoofed website such as contacting system owners, ISPs, publishing
advisories and reporting URLs to various blacklists.

I'm investigating options on how to be more proactive at detecting phishing websites.

1. Placing emails online in the hopes of it being harvested by an attacker (phishing the phisher if you will)
2. Monitoring web server logs for attempts by an attacker to copy all the data from our site
3. Monitoring web server logs for images that are retrieved with an HTTP referrer of a URL different from what is
expected
4. Google searches that look for something that would likely be copied by a phisher to a spoofed website?

I'm not saying these techniques are perfect or effective.  Are there any other techniques you can think of (or sites
that provide details on doing the above... Or provide tools to automate the above)?  Anything more a web admin can do?
Is there anything a developer of an web app can do to improve detection of phishing attempts?  Is there any kind of
configuration can be done that prevents images from being referenced by a phishing website (or load different images)?

Brian

Sent from my iPad