PaulDotCom mailing list archives

Re: Soft Tokens??

From: Robin Wood <robin () digininja org>
Date: Sat, 10 Nov 2012 15:35:19 +0000

On 10 November 2012 12:48, Herndon Elliott <alabamatoy () gmail com> wrote:
Subject: [Pauldotcom] Soft Tokens??
What are your thoughts on software tokens as a two factor auth solution? Would like to hear both sides. And if your
'for' then which solutions/products have you used. And by all means if you have pwn'd a two factor soft token login,
please share (if you can).

Isnt "two factor" and "software token" mutually exclusive?  While a
software implementation of two factor may emulate the actual hardware
(the second factor), isnt it actually, really not two factor?  Its one
factor, something you know.  The something you have is now just
another app that the user doesnt really provide?

I'd disagree with that, an RSA token is just software running on a
custom piece of hardware. What is the difference between the RSA token
and an app running on my Android phone when both are generating
authentication codes.

Not saying the app is as secure as the hardware token just a different
way to implement it.

Robin

Sorry, I have nothing of value to add....