PaulDotCom mailing list archives

Re: ETag leaking inode info

From: Robin Wood <robin () digininja org>
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2012 23:10:36 +0100

On 20 September 2012 21:22, Robin Wood <robin () digininja org> wrote:
I've had both Nikto and Nessus recently report Apache ETags leaking
inode information for example in the Nikto output below:

<description><![CDATA[Server leaks inodes via ETags, header found with
file /icons/README, inode: 491605, size: 4872, mtime:
0xbd8ce4c0]]></description>

I understand that knowing the size and access time is a bit of info
leakage but the stress is on the inode, can anyone explain why this is
so bad? What can an attacker how knows an inode value do with it? I'd
have thought if they had enough access to a machine to be accessing at
the inode level then they would have full file system access anyway.

Robin

Seeing as I've had no answers I'll answer myself...

I asked a lot of people this question while at Brucon and no one
managed to come up with a good reason why knowing the inode is a
really bad thing. We all agree that we should avoid leaking
information wherever possible but no one managed to come up with a
good use for a leaked inode.

If anyone wants to disagree please shout up.

Robin