PaulDotCom mailing list archives

Re: Yet another request for career advice.

From: Michael Dickey <lonervamp () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2012 17:59:59 -0500

Sort of what Josh is talking about, be sure you can talk the talk and get
people to know you can talk the talk. Let people know you have an interest
and background in security, and always provide your positive (or requested
negative) input into discussions that involve security topics. Many persons
really do appreciate the knowledge sharing.

Basically, make sure everyone already buys into you as the security dood.
Share security news with the team/manager, give advice, etc. Get plenty of
experience and confidence talking the talk so you can sound good in the
elevator with someone who influences your boss' budget when the opportunity
presents!

And be extra cautious. For a shop that doesn't sound like they scan or poke
at their own systems very hard, nothing will destroy your cred quicker than
impacting availability of business systems. (Ok, for that matter, it would
probably destroy your job quick as well!)

Lastly, look for any chance you can to pair up security and value, whether
it be easier compliance auditing, better change management, a
misconfiguration/oversight that has been sitting just waiting to explode,
meeting SLAs or B2B questionnaires more accurately, etc.